Who doesn’t love freebies? How about kitchen samples and freebies? Kitchen freebies provide you with sample products that you can try out in your kitchen or awesome printables you can use to decorate your kitchen. [Read more…]
The first official day of summer will soon be here. Why not soak up every bit of summer by immersing yourself in it- by enjoying the weather, cooking summer meals with summer crops, relaxing whenever possible, and thoroughly enjoying yourself! Today, we have a simple and tasty recipe for Orzo Caprese Salad. It can be assembled quickly and you and your family will certainly enjoy it!
Orzo Caprese Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup (or 7-ounces) of dry orzo
- 8 ounces of fresh (water-packed) mozzarella ‘pearls’
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes (cut them into halves)
- 1 (1/2-ounce) bunch of fresh basil (slice it into fine pieces)
Orzo Caprese Salad Ingredients For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Orzo Caprese Salad Directions:
Follow the directions on the pasta box to cook your orzo. Once it has finished cooking, allow to cool but toss is periodically so it does not stick together. In a bow, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend these ingredients together by whisking vigorously or using blender. In a large bowl, mix the orzo with the mozzarella pearls, tomatoes, basil, and approximately 2/3 of the prepared dressing. Add salt and pepper based on your taste preferences. Then, serve this delicious salad right away. If you want to serve the salad completely cooled, refrigerate it and then the remaining dressing right before you serve it. Enjoy!
Learn How to Garden On A Budget With Homemade Fertilizer!
Having your own garden is a rewarding experience. You put in the hard work to plant and maintain the garden, and then eventually you reap the benefits: lots of delicious crops or beautiful plants! Maintaining your garden can get rather expensive. The cost of fertilizers and other plant products can add up quickly. Plus, fertilizers and lawn care products tend to be harmful to our environment and dangerous to children and pets. Today, we have some tips for creating your own DIY homemade fertilizer. These fertilizers and inexpensive. Many of these products or items can be found around your house (or possibly in your trash can!) Check them out below, and give them a try! You will save yourself some money and help keep the environment cleaner, and your children and pets safe!
- Plain Epsom salt is an excellent plant fertilizer! To use Epsom salt to fertilize your plants, mix 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with one gallon of water. Use this solution to water your plants from a watering can. Tomatoes and roses respond particularly well to Epsom salt. You can purchase unscented Epsom salt for a dollar per bag at your local Dollar Tree store!
- Tomatoes and other plants LOVE egg shells! The calcium in the shells is highly beneficial to plants; especially those that are growing in soil that is calcium deficient.
- Plants such as flowering and fruiting plants respond well to banana peels! Save those banana peels and plant them near the roots of your plants. The peel will decompose and release nutrients and vitamins into the soil and into your plant’s roots.
- Do you have any leftover coffee grounds in your house? Coffee grounds add nitrogen and acidity to your soil. Roses, magnolias, hydrangea, and a few other plants particularly like used coffee grounds! To apply, mix coffee grounds into the soil at the base of your plant.
Check Out These Summer Freebies For Kids!
Though it may be hard to believe, summer will soon be officially here! School is over for many children, so why not fill their days off with fun activities that will create lasting summer memories? There are so many summer freebies for kids including reading clubs at libraries, community events, various free lessons, mini camps, Bible schools, and more. If you check in your local community, you may be able to find fun and FREE activities for your kids. Here are a list of free activities that children throughout the United States can enjoy.
- Lowe’s: Lowes will continue to offer FREE Build and Grow workshops throughout the summer. Check out the Lowes website to find out more about these fun building workshops for kids.
- Bass Pro Shops Family Summer Camp: Bass Pro Shops are offering FREE camps every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer beginning at 12:00 PM. These FREE camps include fun crafts, a shooting gallery, a casting pond, family friendly workshops, campfire s’mores treats, a photo, and a merit badge workshop. These fun activities are not always available at every Bass Pro Shop, so be sure to check with your local store.
- Barnes & Noble: Your child can get a FREE book for completing the Summer Reading Triathlon. Just have your child fill in the Summer Reading Triathlon Journal have your child fill out the Summer Reading Triathlon Reading Journal. Once it is completed, they can select a book from the books listed on the brochure.
- Chuck E. Cheese Reading Calendar: This is a partial freebie. If you document your child’s reading progress for two weeks, they can receive 10 FREE tokens at Chuck E Cheese. You make want to check with your local Chuck E Cheese to make sure that they participate with this program.
- Kids Skate Free Program: If your children enjoy ice skating, check out the Kids Skate FREE program. You can register your child and also find participating skating rinks in your area.
- Kids Bowl Free Program: Check out the Kids Bowl FREE program. Your child can bowl 2 FREE games per day. You just pay for the cost of bowling shoe rental. You can find out what bowling alleys are participating on the KBF website.
Have a great start to your summer, and enjoy these summer freebies for kids!
June is here and along with that comes the beginning of summer! Time for backyard bashes, cookouts, and fun summer parties. Today, we have a simple and delicious recipe for Tasty Summer Pasta Salad. It is made up of some flavorful ingredients that any party-goer is sure to love! This recipe make a great addition to any summer potluck. Enjoy! [Read more…]
Monday is Memorial Day 2016, and many stores and companies want to acknowledge America’s veterans and active duty members of the military. In recognition of the service given by past and present members of the military, several restaurants are offering Memorial Day FREE meals when your provide proof of military service. Many of these freebies and deals will be going on throughout Memorial Day weekend. Check out this list of deals and freebies members of the military (and their families!) can take advantage of this weekend.
Memorial Day FREE meals for veterans:
- Hooters restaurants are offering veterans and active members of the military a FREE meal with their beverage purchase. Bring proof of your military service to get your meal.
- Shoney’s restaurants will be serving All-American Burgers to veterans and active members of the military for FREE on Memorial Day
- McCormick & Schmick’s is offering a FREE lunch or dinner entree off a special menu to veterans as well as active duty members of the military on Memorial Day. Proof of military service is required to get your FREE meal.
Other Memorial Day freebies:
- Members of the military along with their families can get FREE admission to Colonial Williamsburg from 5/27 through 5/30.
- Stores such as Home Depot and Lowes as offering a 10% military miscount on Memorial Day Weekend. This discount offer is available to veterans and active duty members of the military. To get your discount, present valid proof of service (such as a Form DD214).
- Get FREE admission to Knott’s Berry Farm, Kings Dominion, or King’s Island if you are a veteran or active duty member of the military over Memorial Day weekend. Family members of vets and military members can get discounted admission tickets.
- JCPenney is offering a 5% discount to members of the military, veterans, and their families from May 25 through May 30.
Free or Inexpensive Memorial Day Activities
We are closing in on the end of May which means Memorial Day is just around the corner. This year, Memorial Day falls on Monday, May 30. Do you and your family have any special Memorial Day activities planned? If not, we have some suggestions for FREE Memorial Day activities you can plan for your family. There are also inexpensive events and activities going on throughout the country over Memorial Day weekend. [Read more…]
Check Out These Ultra Frugal, DIY Seed Starter From A Toilet Roll
Spring is in full bloom! If you have not already begun to plant your flowers and veggies, now is definitely the time to do so! Today, we have some tips to help you cultivate your garden on a budget. There are many ways to do DIY garden projects at a low cost. Sometimes, you can even use household items to create these budget garden ideas. Did you know you can create a seed starter from a toilet paper roll! [Read more…]
If you need an inexpensive and homemade gift idea for Mother’s Day, we have a great suggestion for you! You can create DIY bath bombs for your mom. These are fairly simple to create, and they make a nice present for a mom who deserves a bit of pampering.
DIY Bath Bombs Supplies:
- 1/2 cup of Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup of Citric Acid
- 1/4 cup of Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of Epsom Salt
- 3 teaspoons of Castor Oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon of Essential Oil
- Food Coloring
- 1 tablespoon of Water (this amount can vary slightly depending on the humidity level where you live)
- A bowl
- A whisk
- A spray bottle
- Soap molds, Easter eggs, clear fill-able ornaments, etc.
- A tray
- A towel
DIY Bath Bombs Directions:
Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl (baking soda, citric acid, cornstarch, and Epsom salt). In your spray bottle, combine the castor oil, essential oil, food coloring, and water. Give your spray bottle a gentle shake until the liquid ingredients are combined. Then, begin to spray the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Immediately, begin to whisk the wet and dry ingredients together. Do not over-saturate the dry ingredients or the mixture will begin to react and fizz. Continue to gradually spritz and whisk the ingredients together. Once the mixture is the consistency of damp sand (if you squeeze it in your hand it clumps up and doesn’t crumble), you are ready to mold your homemade bath bombs. Gently pack the mixture in your mold. After the mixture is packed into the mold, gently turn it over and place it on a towel that has been placed over your tray. Allow each bath bomb to dry for approximately 24 hours. Then, store them in a sealed container. The DIY bath bombs do lose some of their fizz after a while, so try to give them out soon after you make them.
Please note that the use of castor oil or vegetable oil can make bathtubs a bit slippery. If you are concerned about this, you can omit the oil from the recipe.
Purchasing dish-washing supplies can get expensive, especially when you consider the fact that dish detergent is a consumable product! One way you can save money is by making homemade dishwasher detergent. It is simpler and easier than you would probably think. Today, we are telling oyu how to make your own dish washing tablets. These dishwasher tablets are easy to make, easy to use, and they will save you a lot of money! You can even shop around for coupons to save even more money on the ingredients.
How to make homemade dishwasher detergent:
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Ingredients:
- 2 cups of Borax
- 2 cups of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of Epsom or kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 15 to 20 drops of lemon essential oil (these give the dishwasher tabs a nice fragrance!)
- 2 ice cube trays
- a large storage container
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Directions:
Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together the ingredients until they begin to clump together. Then, pack the mixture into your ice cube trays. Be sure to press down as hard as possible so the dishwasher tabs hold their shape. The tablets must stay in their tray for 24 hours to dry. They dry best when you place them in a warm, sunny location. After they have thoroughly dried out, you can carefully remove them from the trays and store them in a container with a lid.
To use the dishwasher tablets, just place them in the detergent compartment of your dishwasher as you would with a store bought detergent. If you have hard water, be sure to add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar to the bottom of your dishwasher to prevent your dishes from becoming cloudy. If you have a stainless steel dishwasher, you may not want to add the vinegar as it may alter the look and finish of the stainless steel.